Baltic Sea Day Carnival
The Baltic Sea Day Carnival is a virtual event, streamed directly from the lobby of the Helsinki City Hall. The morning will begin with a story hour with the Moomins, where the stories “A Book about Little My, Mymble and Moomintroll” and “Invisible Child” will be read in three different languages. In the afternoon, we will hear of new innovations and tangible actions to prevent trash from ending up in the Baltic Sea, and expert talks on e.g. marine nature, climate change, and the cultural history and economy of the Baltic Sea. Via videos, we can also acquaint ourselves with underwater nature, and hear about memories of the sea. In the evening, the programme will close with a movie, showing the latest Moomin animations in four languages.
You can follow the programme on the Helsinki Channel here. A more detailed programme will be updated on the event’s Facebook page.
The Baltic Sea Day Carnival is coordinated by the Baltic Sea Challenge and the City of Helsinki. Programme organisers include the John Nurminen Foundation, the Finnish Environment Institute, Natural Resources Institute Finland, the University of Helsinki, Geological Survey of Finland, Moomin Characters Ltd Oy, Ministry of the Environment, the Library, the SATAKOLKYT project, and the artists of Harakka Island.
9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Moomin story hour for kindergarten children
Classic Moomin tales read aloud in three languages. The tales are perfectly suited for children of kindergarten age, but can be enjoyed by all ages.
- 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Kuinkas sitten kävikään & Näkymätön lapsi
- 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Hur gick det sen & Osynliga barnet
- 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My & Invisible Child
- 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Kuinkas sitten kävikään & Näkymätön lapsi
- 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Hur gick det sen & Osynliga barnet
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My & Invisible Child
12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. Video of underwater nature
The Finnish Environment Institute Syke has compiled exquisite materials featuring the Baltic Sea into video format.
12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m. A Sea of Memories, a virtual exhibition by the John Nurminen Foundation
The marine memories of the Finns have been collected to create this exhibition.
1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Presenting the fast tryouts of the Baltic Sea Challenge
2:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Results of the Satakolkyt project
More details will be added later.
2:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Harakka Island artists’ workshop
More details will be added later.
3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. mini lectures with various viewpoints to the Baltic Sea
- 3:00 p.m. to 3:20 p.m. The Baltic Sea is old and young – Anu Kaskela
- 3:20 p.m. to 3:40 p.m. The Archipelago of blind rocks – Helsinki and the sea in the era of sails – Mikko Huhtamies
- 3:40 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Ships lost to the sea – wrecks and sunken ships from Northern Baltic Sea – Riikka Alvik
- 4:00 p.m. to 4:20 p.m. Fish stocks of the Baltic Sea – Meri Kallasvuo
Marine and sweet water species and migratory fish – fish resources of northern Baltic Sea
- 4:20 p.m. to 4:40 p.m. Marine nature and the climate – Markku Viitasalo
- 4:40 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Economy of the Baltic Sea area – Kari Hyytiäinen
How important is the Baltic Sea to the economies and various livelihoods of the countries on its coastlines? And how does economic activity impact the Baltic Sea? Is a good status of the Baltic Sea reachable in the cross waves of economic growth, a changing climate, and global megatrends? These are the questions we will tackle in the last mini lecture.
5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. movie night with the Moomin animation series
New, never-before-seen episodes of the animated Moomin series will be shown, with the Moomins connecting with the sea and its magic.
- 5:00 p.m. to 5:22 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in Finnish
- 5:22 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in Finnish
- 5:45 p.m. 6:07 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in Swedish
- 6:07 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in Swedish
- 6:30 p.m. to 6:52 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in Sami
- 6:52 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in Sami
- 7:15 p.m. to 7:37 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in English
- 7:37 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Moomin Valley stories in English
This event programme is subject to change.